Friday, May 8, 2009

Poem for Mother's Day

She wore
A black cocktail mini dress
With a furry feather boa on the hem
In the sixties
A yellow sun dress
With big plastic rings
In the seventies
Five inch high pumps
With crisp striped suits
In the eighties

She sparkled at entertaining
Moonlight in Moscow
Begin the Bequine
Out of Africa
and
Those were the Days
On the piano

She traveled
From Jamaica to Bangkok
For four days
From Vancouver to London
For weekends
To Budapest, Athens and Panama
For tea

Her essence follows me
From time to time, revealing itself
In my quiet backyard
Comfortable deck filled with flowering pots
A walk down my street in the spring
Abundance of azaleas, rhododendrons, dogwoods in full bloom
Hummingbirds, finches and jays at the feeders

She followed me to Egypt one day
On the top deck of our cruise ship
On the Nile, I listened
To the piped in piano music
Playing all of her songs

Most of all, she is there
In the sounds of her music
Orchids in the Moonlight
Strangers in the Night. . .
Unforgettable, that’s what you are

Copyright©Kathy Stanley.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem Kathy! Let me know when you publish your book.

    ReplyDelete