Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Labrish receives a welcome. . . and The Paradox of Stingray City, Grand Cayman

I would be re-miss if I didn’t acknowledge and thank Rick MacPherson of the blog Malaria, Bedbugs, Sea Lice, & Sunsets for his recent favorable review of this blog site. Rick’s blog is dedicated to ocean biodiversity and is a true treasure trove of the latest news in marine science for those of us passionate about oceans and marine life. About Labrish, Rick said: “I didn't just learn coral reef ecology during my field work in Jamaica. If memory serves, "Labrish" is Jamaican Creole for "gossip" or "chitchat". What we call "the Coconut Wireless" in the Pacific. All I can say is Labrish is speaking my language!” Thank you Rick! See his review of Labrish .

While checking out his site, read his post titled “Feeding stingrays makes for lazy fat stingrays” which is a report on the latest research conducted on the stingrays at Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I have long thought that Stingray City and the flock of tourists to the site (many of them cruise ship tourists) could not possibly be good for this population of stingrays. Suspicions confirmed.


Yet another so-called “eco-tourism” activity that provides thrills for humans and threats for a marine species. I hope the Cayman government will come to their senses and wake up and pay attention to this. They need to cease the senseless exploitation of stingrays in their waters. Rick pointed out that other Caribbean countries are now embarking on these stingray cities as well. What a tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment